This article provides the recommended HDMI cable lengths and considerations based on Amino quality testing.
The Amino H-Series products typically ship with a high quality 1.8m HDMI cable.
If choosing to use a HDMI cable other than the one supplied by Amino, our recommendation is to use the shortest length possible for your setup. If you chose to use a different and longer HDMI cable, Amino make the following recommendations: -
- avoid any HDMI cable that is longer than 7 meters, as they can suffer from signal degradation and may not maintain a reliable connection between your devices. When considering longer run cables, quality becomes much more important so if required, invest in a long HDMI cable with higher quality to best suit your needs. Try to avoid joining several cables together with an HDMI adapter, as this can introduce additional signal degradation.
- Always check and confirm an HDMI cable is compatible with all your devices, HDMI switch, HDMI splitter, and content types before installing it permanently.
- Depending on the actual cables and any other connections in the situation (Cable type, structure, shielding etc.) you may get different results so proper testing in your intended environment is recommended.
- Active HDMI cables use a small chip which is powered from the devices they’re connected to. These help to maintain signal strength over longer distances and in some circumstances may allow longer cable runs.
- For longer than normal HDMI cables, we recommend using STC-tested high-speed HDMI cables, such as Premium high-speed HDMI Cables.
Our engineers reference this specifications: https://hdmi.org/spec21sub/ultrahighspeedcable . Amino conducted quality testing of our H200 with a 15m high quality HDMI cable with the following results:
4K TV Types
- LG 43UF6400, HDMI port 2 - ARC
- Sony KD-55X8500B, HDMI port 1 and 2
Testing with the resolutions 720p-50Hz, 1080p-24Hz and 1080p-50Hz showed no issues.
We did find that a 15m HDMI cable did not support the reliable transmission of 4K video streams and it is not recommended to use long HDMI cables for 4K transmission.
15m HDMI cable specification used in testing.